Sunday, March 10, 2013

Whole Foods: A Place for TOMS?

Being a foodie fanatic, I love shopping at Whole Foods. Any crazy ingredient that a recipe may call for I will find there. Yes, I know it's more expensive than Safeway or Albertson's but I'm ok with that. Ever since that whole "pink slime" fiasco surfaced last year, I started shopping at a grocery store I knew ground up their own meat sans lean finely textured beef, ick.

There are all sorts of things you can find there. They carry any gluten free product you could want, their wine and beer section is out of this world, and they also sell...TOMS?

I get it, TOMS (or "peasant shoes" as the Hubs calls them) fit that whole, "eat clean, green, organic, and be one with the planet vibe." The funny thing is, TOMS have become way more of a fashion statement these days and cool to wear, rather than being strictly for the purpose for giving shoes to a child in need with every pair sold. I buy them for both reasons.

So back to my subject- I'm cruising down the frozen foods aisle when I hear this lady complaining they don't have any of the "cute ones" in her size. I'm nosy and like to meddle so I steered my cart over to inconspicuously try and see what was going on. It does suck, however, when you find something you like at a retailer and they are out of your size or it's the wrong color and you'd have to wait to have it sent. You want that instant gratification of taking it home with you right then, even if it's from a grocery store. The thing that struck me as odd was she said to the clerk at the store, "we'll if you're not going to get anymore in my size or style, I guess I'm out of luck." I had to pause a moment because, to me, Whole Foods would be the last place I would rely on for my next pair of TOMS. Not to mention I know a pretty snazzy retailer that carries them all year long and will even ship them to you...for free!

I chose not to tell her where else she could get them since she clearly did not seem to be dying over them and already was onto looking at capsules of evening primrose oil and cayenne pepper tablets, do I want to know what one takes those for?

She and I could never be friends. Whenever I meet a pair of shoes I like and they don't come in my size, I have ways of making them show up to my door...in 3-8 business days.

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN: What is the oddest thing you've ever purchased at a drugstore or grocery store? Please post your comments below.


4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of an incident that I witnessed at Costco. They were giving out samples of "meatless" Chick'n nuggets. I of course sampled the product and found it quite good. As I was picking up my bag to take home a lady walked up to the person giving out the samples and proceeded to argue about why it was called chicken if it was meatless. Two points here lady; first it didn't say chicken it said "chick'n" and anyone knows that's different and second why argue with the person handing out samples, they have nothing to do with naming the product and don't make enough I'm sure to put up with your lip! Get over it, if you don't like the name, don't buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been known to purchase shoes at Sprouts, but of a distinctly less "cool" variety- crocs. Yikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bought sandals at Safeway years ago

    ReplyDelete