Friday, March 15, 2013

Fast Fashion...What's the Rush?

This week on NPR (yes, I listen to NPR...religiously I might add) they had numerous stories about the world of "Fast Fashion."  In this economy, it's difficult to justify paying lots of bucks for right-this-second styles that you may only wear for one season.  It's like my obsession over those elastic waist pants- I finally found some by the way, thank you H&M. Yes, they were $34.95 but the material made me sweaty after wearing them and they are probably not going to last long.  Factoring in "cost-per-wear" though, should I have paid the $238 for the silk Eileen Fisher pants? It would probably be a good investment (hope the Hubs isn't reading this post).

That essentially, is the problem with fast fashion.  On the one side it makes style accessible to the masses, however, the materials that stores use to manufacture these clothing items are so cheap, is it worth even paying that small amount of money for something you know is only going to make it a season?  To me it depends on what it is.  Great little black dress-yes! Sneaker wedge-NO!

I was having an "Alexander's No Good, Very Bad Day" moment on Tuesday when I decided to skip my Weight Watchers weigh in and pass on the hot yoga class.  Only one thing was going to make me feel better...a beer and hangers full of clothes!  The girlfriends and I headed to Forever 21 to see what gems we could find among all the polyester and spandex.  JB spotted some Rag and Bone knock offs and bee lined it for them while I found some palazzo pants that had a jungle print on them...don't know what I was thinking with that style choice.  KT nabbed an alligator tank that said "OH SNAP!" on it with big jaws ready to take a bite out of you.  I asked her, "where are you going to wear that?" I had to know since I just wouldn't have picked that top for myself.  KT exuberantly shrieked, "I gonna wear it while out walking the dog!"...don't know if that's what the designer had in mind when they made that shirt...

Cramming myself into the tiny dressing room with all my picks, sweaters, tees, tops, and those jungle pants, I shimmied off myself what I was wearing to see if I could find a new treat for myself.  Between the 3 of us, you heard moans of, "what the heck is this?" and "oh god, this was a bad choice."  I just like to grunt and whimper in agony.  The tag in those pants said Large when I picked them up but I think Forever 21's version of Large and my version are 2 different things.  I had to force them over my hips (I should have just hung the back up) and was determined to get those suckers on.  When I came out of the dressing room to show my friends, it was all sorts of wrong.  This is why I only buy jewelry from F21, to avoid moments of admitting to myself in their dressing room that I have a food baby, and its name is Pink Frosted Sugar Cookie.

This is my issue with stores like Forever 21 and H&M sometimes- the garments are so cheaply made, you can either A: Only wear them once or B: not even be able to buy them because someone didn't take the time to actually figure out what a real size large would look or fit like for a modern person.  So what is the rush here? I understand that these retailers are trying to provide accessible style but why does it have to be so crappy? I wish there was a middle area somewhere.

Now, I own those elastic waist pants I had been coveting from a previous post but am now rethinking if they worth my hard earned dollars.  I wore them once and feel like I shouldn't ever where them again for fear they might disintegrate while I am wearing them, talk about awkward.  Should I have just caved and bought the silk Eileen Fisher ones? The world may never know.

Now It's Your Turn: I want to know: Have you ever purchased something from a Fast Fashion retailer that has actually lasted? I want to know if it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment