Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sun Drunk

Something has me in an odd mood lately.  I don't know if it's the changing of the seasons- all of a sudden the weather is warmer and people have a reason to wear cute sun dresses and shorts sans tights and hosiery.  Or if all this great produce is coming into my grocery store which makes me want to actually eat healthy and not just pig out on chips and wine.  This oddity, while it's not necessarily a bad thing, is something I realize comes around every time around the Spring and Easter.

I think what it boils down to is I grew up in So Cal  where the weather was perpetually warm and sunny and rarely did I ever have a reason to own a pair of rain boots.  I remember wanting to wear my sweaters and boots that I had bought during the summer for back to school, only to be discouraged because it was usually still 80 degrees on the first day of school.  Being the stubborn bugger that I am, I chose to wear a new wool sweater and trousers on the first day of school even though the forecast called for sunshine and a high of 90.  My Mom warned me but I was determined to wear my outfit which was my interpretation of something I had seen in an issue of Teen Vogue.  Needless to say, I paid for my bad decision by sweating to death.  I think I may have even chose to wear my gym shorts and red school shirt from PE and gave up on changing back into my sweat box for the rest of the day.  I'm sure my outfit choice choice for the latter part of the day looked great with my black Mary-Janes and argyle socks.  If by chance someone owns a picture of that look, do yourself a favor and burn it.

After living in Seattle for 7 and a half years (as I type that I can't believe it's true!) once the sun begins to shine in Spring, people, including me get what I like to call "Sun Drunk."  If I were to put the term, Sun Drunk into the dictionary it would have this definition-
Sun-Drunk: 
adjective
1. Being overcome with giddiness and happiness for no reason but for the sheer fact that the sun is out and shining.  Actions that might occur from being Sun-Drunk include: smiling even when someone cuts you off on the freeway, being excited about the day-even if it's a Tuesday, and going to a store such as Home Depot or Lowe's to buy your gardening supplies for the season even if the next sunny day isn't until 3 weeks from now.
2. This emotion is usually felt by those residing in the Pacific Northwest or somewhere where one does not ever see the sun.

Today I had a dose of being Sun Drunk.  The Hubs suggested we go on walks now that the weather is starting to come around...again, it's the first sunny day in a month and we're not supposed to have another sunny day for a couple more weeks.  We may have been a little over-zealous and walked a total of 4 miles, my hips and legs are killing me right now.

Along with making ridiculous plans about fashion choices for the weather and figuring out new dishes to create, I start to reminisce about my friends and family.  For me, I want to all of a sudden go out to brunch and enjoy their company more.  Not that I don't like to in the other 7 months of the year, but the lack of sunshine and overall gloom in the sky puts me in a crappy crabby mood where all I want to do is hibernate in my bed and not be bothered until it's time to eat again.  I am a pissy pants during this season and I feel bad about it.  I am the first to admit that I flake out easily and make excuses...for that I am making a public apology to friends and family about it.

The best of the best on my wedding day

My two absolute faves from college!

Love her!
JB- One of my greatest friends and mentors
My Mommy

All the people in the above pictures are people I treasure and care about deeply.  They've impacted me in many forms and I am fortunate to call them either friend or family.  They've been there to tell me when I had makeup on my face that needed blending or a shoulder to cry on. So in honor of Easter and new beginnings, I am saying I'm thankful to have all of them in my life and hopefully all of them know that.

Happy Easter and Happy Spring to all.  I hope the warmer weather has you planning what you're going to be doing with your favorite people this season too! Maybe get a little Sun Drunk as it can only be good for you.




1 comment:

  1. Let me try this comment thing again! Your post made me feel giddy & happy under partly cloudy So Cal skies. Fabulousness! I read it aloud in the car to my hubs! You rock! Keep writing...I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete