Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wardrobe Malfunction? Or Just Another Reason to Buy a New Outfitt

Being this close to such great clothing has, unfortunately, gotten me into trouble at times. I have little self control when it comes to fashion and cave quite easily when I see something that is floral, animal print, retro, cashmere, a great price, sparkly....actually, I should just say I cave easily when I see anything mostly...even if I know in my heart it's hideous. For someone who used to be a salesperson, I am an easy target too and am ready to hand over the card at he sound of the words "in the latest Vogue" or "Rachel Zoe was seen wearing one just like it!"

A friend of mine at work once told me that her husband thinks there should be a therapy group for the husbands/boyfriends of the ladies that work in retail. My husband would probably be first in line to sign up. Some of my favorite sayings to him when justifying my fashion purchases have been, "but babe you don't understand, I HAVE to look stylish for my job, I work in fashion!" Or, "Just think honey, we are securing our future! When my company does well, we do well." For some reason, I have taken it upon myself to single-handedly stimulate the economy, one pair of Jimmy Choo's at a time. Luckily, the Hubs ain't no fool. Sometimes I have taken to coming home and telling Hubs, "something went wrong with the outfit. I needed to change," as a way to ease the sting from the checking account statement.

I actually did have a wardrobe malfunction today. It could have been prevented if I would have just listened to inner me saying, "no way man! That dress doesn't fit you." I have been compelled lately to plough through my closet and see if I have any hidden gems of yore in there. I found this great dress that I just had to wear with my new Truth and Pride black silk blazer I just bought-amaze. As I was shimmying this thing over my Chipotle burrito filled body, I heard the words of Anne Hathaway and Stanley Tucci speaking in "The Devil Wears Prada."

Anne: "oooo I love that, will it fit me?"
Stanley: "Oh sure, a little Crisco and some fishing line and we're in business"

Boy was I in need of A LOT of Crisco and I was not leaving the house until that dress was on my body. I was not at work for more than 5 minuets when I heard a loud RIIIIIP! Well, now I can't wear this at all. No need to fret, just outside I can pick a new dress and we'll be done, this shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find a new garment for today on the less expensive side....or so I thought. 15 different outfits later, I finally found a dress. Now I needed shape wear so my ass didn't look like two hams fighting in a sack...if ya know what I mean. Maybe I needed a new necklace, and earrings, and maybe a big cocktail ring for effect. Ok, those last 3 items were not necessary, especially since I had perfectly good accessories on already.

So now, I am in the doghouse. I showed the actual rip in this morning's dress and while it may have justified the purchase a little, I'm still getting the look of, "where are you going to fit that in our tiny house? Me and the cat are gonna have to move out to make room for clothes and shoes." Thanks babe, love you too.

I've attached the picture of today's new outfit.

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN: Do you make excuses to buy a great piece of clothing? Please post your comments below.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely! and I mostly buy at thrift stores or Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lindsey. This is why I loved being friends with you. You are hilariously awesome.

    And this is why my husband is completely against me going back to work for a company like J. Crew that would clothe us all- there would be no income but we would all be fabulously dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lucky my man doesn't care about his clothing...we'd be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! Too bad we don't do penny bags anymore...

    ReplyDelete