Monday, March 10, 2014

How Do I Overcome A Pinterest Fail?

What did people do before Pinterest? If you're like me you had an "inspiration board" that you put clippings, website print-outs, and whatever else you wanted on there to inspire you on what you wanted to accomplish in life.  I first learned about the inspiration board from an episode of Oprah. The show was about achieving outcomes you wanted and thinking forward. I remember this lady on the show saying she made an inspiration board about what she wanted in the new home she just saved up and purchased. I remember her saying she put a picture of a Viking range on her board that she ultimately saved up and purchased later. All I wanted when I was watching that show was to successfully graduate college and get a good job- perhaps I shouldn't have been skipping my sociology class that day to watch Oprah but oh well...I had to get my inspiration from somewhere.  It's funny to think about now because I am constantly on Pinterest looking at everything known to man, recipes, nail art, makeup techniques, and my most favorite, hairstyles!

I was never one to do up my hair in high school or really put an effort into styling it in any way.  It was before the times of Moroccan Oil and Chi straighteners that worked well to tame frizzy manes. I was always so excited to go to school the Monday after I had gotten my haircut since the hairstylist would blow it out and straighten it making my hair look like someone else's. I'd get compliments about it, how'd you get it to look so good? Is that a chemical process? Are you new here in school?- yes that one actually happened too.  I remember my friends chipping in one Christmas to buy my one of the first Con air straighteners that had the tooth-ed comb and you had to put water in it to steam your hair.  I was so excited to get it home and use it only to ultimately have it get stuck in my hair....I think my Mom still remembers the shrieks and crying that ultimately followed the 2 hour ordeal to get the damn thing out of my hair. So I think in being scared for the time being about using any type of hair styling tool, I went back to doing the same thing all day everyday...putting it up in a pony-tail and wearing it like that.

Now, with a website like Pinterest, all you need to do is type in "easy hairstyle" and you are given a multitude of options for what you want to do, videos, in depth tutorials, anything! So it should be easy right? We've come a long way from straighteners getting stuck in your hair and using socks at night to curl it.  WRONG! Welcome to what is known as "The Pinterest Fail" something you see on Pinterest and try to recreate it and it comes out wrong-really wrong.  Please use this website as a reference http://pinterestfail.com/

So in this month's journey to get better looking skin and look good all around, I picked one of my favorite do's on my Hair Loves board and thought I'd give it a go this morning since it said, "Easy 10 Minute Bouffant." Yeah right! It was not easy and it did not take 10 minutes, it took 30, and made me late for work this morning. I officially looked like I had a bird's nest on my head and chose to walk out of the house looking like that. I could have easy taken it down and decided to do what I always do which is a half up/half down look with a hair tie but I thought, I went for it on this one and I'm going to embrace it-frizzy birds nest and all.  Hopefully I will be able to one day achieve this style, but for now I am going to overcome my fail by laughing it off and doing what anyone else would do- blog about it and potentially put my new "do" idea on Pinterest called, "the difficult 30 minute mess bird nest."

No-I didn't take a picture, even though I know you wish I had :)

No comments:

Post a Comment